The construction of the Euxinograd Palace started in 1882. It was designed by the
Viennese architect Ruppelmeyer. In that year the Bulgarian Prince Alexander Battenberg accepted as a present from the
Council of senior clergy at the Greek Bishopric the monastery Saint Dimitar with all its fields, vineyards and buildings. Later
the prince expanded the estate to its present-day boundaries, some 8 km north of Varna, sprawling on 80 hectares. The
palace was first named Sandrovo (after the name of its owner Alexander Battenberg - Sandro) but in 1983, at the request of
Princess Maria Louisa, wife of the new Bulgarian Tsar Ferdinand, the estate was given a new name - Euxinograd which
means a “hospitable town”.